Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Obvious...

Just a quick post with some pictures, and quick thoughts...

First the pictures... Jesse and Ruth were kind enough to take me up to Douglasville on Saturday while I was having my bike worked on, and then on the ride home they snapped a few pic's from the truck. (as you can undoubtedly tell from the top of the page)





Then I was doing a little bit of reading this morning, from one of the most interesting news sites around, and they had this on their page as a headline.

"Lawyers think juries watch too much TV and suffer from the "CSI Effect," which means they only believe iron-clad scientific evidence and detectives who put on their sunglasses and spout corny one-liners during testimony"

The link on that page leads to this story http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/ED2529097F276D4086257471000DAA37?OpenDocument

I found it rather amusing, especially the first five paragraphs, due to the fact that I've seen the show myself, and have always found it comical to watch for some of the very reasons this article is pointing out. The article shows the thought process consuming our nation, and the world today... Their reality is based on Television! Amusing, but scary at the same time... How has it come to the point where people can actually believe that almost any of the TV shows on air are even anywhere close to reality!??? It absolutely astounds me... I can understand watching a TV show for entertainment purposes, but actually taking it seriously, that just gets to the point of ridiculousness...

Now I'm not going to come out and be one of those people that is going to say our TV shows need to have more reality in them, I mean come on, I'm a fan of both "Heroes" and "Lost" which have very little reality involved in either of them, and I am very entertained with them... But that's all I'll ever be, entertained. Will I ever base any of my decisions on them? Of course not! That would just be nuts... and yet here we are, coming to the point that our justice system is being affected by people watching TV... I hope I never have to go to court because someone did something to me, and the jury has a bunch of CSI Believers in it... as the article describes, eye witness would be almost totally discounted as not reliable, and unless the ridiculous amount of impossible, and impeccable evidence to gather has been unequivocally found, I will have no chance at all... unless of course I get an old man on my side, sliding his sunglasses on and off and saying, with infinite, and undeniable arrogance, that what I say happened, did in fact happen... =)

Several studies have been done into the "CSI effect," and some yield more results than others, but it would be naive to say that it's not happening with more and more frequency involving jurors, criminals, and forensic academia... it's just obvious. Anyway, enough of my ranting. LOL. Like I said, this article just struck a chord with me, as I watched some of the episodes not too long ago, and had these exact thoughts about it back then, only to have this article displayed today.

SO.... Really looking forward to July 4th, Love you all! and until I see you again, have fun!

No comments: